Monday, January 25, 2016

Old CD's, Cassette tapes, Vinyls, and the 8-Track

I have them all....or I did have them all. I gave the vinyl records, along with the turntable to a niece who was into oldies. I should have kept them because I'm now hearing they are on their way back as the preferred method of listening to music you can't afford to pay to listen to live.

I got rid of all my 8-track tapes years ago. However, I had to keep one to use with my 8-track player. I couldn't make myself toss the player. It was a gift from my mom. I kept the cartridge in order to show my grandkids how the thing worked. So far they haven't asked.

I threw out all my remaining cassettes, save one, a year or so ago. When my old pickup truck radio decided to eat one of my cassettes I figured it was time to step into the next century. I threw away all the cassettes except for the Kingston Trio Three Album Collection. Don't really know why....can't play it.

I may have mentioned on Facebook my plan to go through my mountain of old CD's during the next couple of weeks. My plan is to keep those I still enjoy and throw out the rest. I'm going to workout on my rowing machine while listening....one CD for one workout session. I did learn very quickly to check the old CD player to make sure it wasn't set for "replay". The first day I listened to the Dixie Chicks. I used to really like the Dixie Chicks until they insulted President Bush during a concert. I overlooked their action in order to fully research the collection I have on hand. They were really great. I don't know if they are still around or not but they used to be really talented. The second day started off kind of rough. I was already on the rower ready to go. I grabbed the next CD off the top....Christmas music....I didn't want to work out to Christmas music. I grabbed the next....and the next...and once again....all Christmas CD's. I moved them all to the bottom finally and went for the CD now on top. It was Pachelbel. I like Pachelbel...when I'm reading or relaxing. Not sure it would work for rowing. I grabbed the next one....hmm, it was the Dixie Chicks again. I decided to go ahead with it before my resolve to workout faded. It was a good CD and a good  workout. I kind of feel sorry for Earl. According to the song, he had to die. I know I have some really good CD's in my collection. I have some smoking rock from the late 60's and early 70's. I also have Neil Diamond, John Denver, the Beach Boys, and more. On the country side I have the Statler Brothers, Oakridge Boys, Vince Gill. My bluegrass collection would make you swoon. So WHERE ARE THESE CD'S??!!

I may have to cull my collection visually before I proceed with the workout plan. The problem is, I bought all these CD's at one time or another because I liked the music recorded. Oh sure, I may have been immature and I know I was always about a decade behind the current trend...but I liked it at one time or I wouldn't have bought it. I may not be able to throw any of them away....don't tell Debbie.

I've created my own personal favorites on Pandora so I'm sure that method is out of date now. Let me know what I need to use in order to be 1) up to date and current, and 2) entertained. I'll let you get back to your day now....."get your motor runnin', headed down the highway..." dunt ta dunt ta da da da da dunt....

No comments:

Post a Comment